Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tea with the Ryba Women

Celebrating David and Ashley's engagement, I hosted a ladies' tea for the Ryba and Matics kinswomen this afternoon. I want to make memories with our soon-to-be family-in-law, and I hope that today was the start of many memories and moments of laughter to come. My mom, Katie, and I shared the day with Ashley, her mother, and her grandmother. All of the Ryba women are so easy to talk with. It feels to me as though we have known each other longer than we have. They brought such joy into my home today, and I hope I was able to give them some in return. The Christmas season is such a beautiful time for togetherness and celebration---such a cozy time of year.


Our tea menu:




* First course: almond filled scones with devonshire cream

*Second course: spinach salad with dried cranberries, roasted pecans and asiago cheese and raspberry vinaigrette (very Christmassy looking in color)

* Third course: tea sandwiches---salmon, cucumber, cream cheese; egg salad; minced ham, raspberry, and fresh thyme



*Fourth course: dessert---raspberry linzer cookies (okay, I bought these), and chocolate torte bites

We had a delicious time! Lorraine brought surprise also: English crackers! Oh how I love crackers. When we pulled them apart they popped, and we all wore the crowns and told the jokes and played with the toys.


I wish I could bring back the idea of tea time to the culture of the United States. People could call upon one another just like in the older times and we would pause and take time with one another. I dream.


Picture of the day:

A view of the Christmas tea table with our tree in the background...

Another view of the formal table...


The tea sandwiches: the hearts were for the egg salad to celebrate David and Ashley's love; the pig shapes were for the ham sandwiches...


A place setting up close...



Ladies at tea time...



Our expanding family...


Love to all and may happiness be ever in your hearts...