Friday, December 18, 2009

On a Date

Katie spent some time with her Amie and Boppa today while Bill and I went out on a Christmas shopping/movie date!

Bill is getting a Kindle for Christmas, and I am getting an opal and diamond ring to represent Katie's birth month. We aren't really surprising each other, but we are each waiting until Christmas to start enjoying out items. I am also turning 30 this month...about which I am very excited actually. The thirties are going to be great years, full of motherhood and new chapters in my life.

After finding my ring, we had a quick bite to eat and then saw Avatar, the most visually stunning film I have ever seen. I hadn't heard too much about it until Bill said a few weeks ago that he wanted to see it...apparently, it is an historic moment in film history/the future of film, and I can see why. We saw it in the IMAX theater in 3-D. I was so totally absorbed in the Pandora world, and the message of the movie emphasized the interconnectedness of all things---which I believe. The film, though 2 hours and 46 minutes, totally captivated me and I appreciated many of the more philosophical overtones in this science fiction/fantasy hybrid. I definitely recommend seeing it, in IMAX if you can. One of the big deals about this film is that theaters all around the nation had to be refitted with the right technology in order to screen it, so from a technological standpoint I am doubly fascinated.

So we had a really fun date, and now we are home having a beautiful evening as a family. Katie and I have been singing more carols together. This has been an amazing week! This weekend shall find us putting finishing touches on Christmas presents and perhaps baking another batch or two of Christmas cookies!